MARCH NEWSLETTER ARTICLE
DENTAL HEALTH TIPS
Your teeth need to last you a life time so here are six of the worst habits for your teeth. Make this the year to break these bad habits:
- Nail biting. This habit can chip teeth and impact your jaw. The solution-bitter tasting nail polishes, stress reduction and setting small realistic goals can help.
- Brushing too hard. Brushing for two minutes twice a day is one of the best habits you can get into. Just make sure you are not trying too hard. Brushing too hard or with a hard toothbrush can damage teeth and irritate gums. Use a soft toothbrush at the proper pressure.
- Grinding and Clenching. This can cause chipping or cracking of the teeth, as well as muscle tenderness or joint pain. Relaxation exercises and staying aware makes a difference. Ask your dentist if a night time mouth guard would be beneficial.
- Chewing ice cubes. Tooth enamel is a crystal and so is ice. Pushing the two against each other will cause one to break. The problem is when it is a tooth or filling instead of the ice. Use a straw so you are not tempted.
- Constant snacking. Grazing all day especially on sugary foods and drinks puts you at a higher risk for cavities. Eat balanced meals to feel fuller longer. If you need a snack, choose one that is low in fat and sugar. If you do indulge in an occasional sugary treat, follow it with a glass of water to wash away leftover food particles.
- Using your teeth as a tool. Your teeth are made for eating not as a stand in pair of scissors. When you use your teeth as tools you run a risk of cracking your teeth or injuring your jaw. The solution-stop and find something or someone to lend you a hand.
Featured Produce item of the month: Strawberries. Strawberries are loaded with Vitamin C, Fiber, and full of anti-oxidants for better health. Look for bright red color. If there is white around the step it was not picked at peak ripeness. If possible buy organic. Strawberries contain high levels of pesticides even after washing.
Strawberries can be enjoyed in a variety of ways:
- Add them as a topping to your green dinner salad
- Stir some into your breakfast oatmeal
- Add some to your favorite smoothie recipe
RECIPE OF THE MONTH-PEAR/BERRIE SMOOTHIE
Place 2 C. milk, one pear, 1 Cup Strawberries, 1/2C quick cooking oats and ½ t. cinnamon in a blender and puree till creamy.