I’m Eric Kapczynski, "Officer Kap" and I’ve been with the Columbus Police Department since 2002. I have primarily worked in the patrol division. Having already been in classrooms presenting D.A.R.E. for over 10 years, when the opportunity arose to join BCSC as a full-time School Resource Officer (SRO), I knew it could be a great opportunity for me. This role will allow me to really get to know students better and help keep them on a safe and healthy path in life. I found my way to Columbus via Ellettsville, Indiana which is near Bloomington. I graduated from Vincennes University (2000) and then IU-Bloomington (2002) with a degree in Criminology. I recently earned a Masters in Criminal Justice with a focus on forensic psychology. I completed basic training through the National Association of School Resource Officers (NASRO) in 2019 and continue to attend other officer and school specific training sessions throughout the year. While I have an office at Northside Middle School, I also assist with other schools in BCSC as needs arise or just to be helpful and friendly to those students and staff. Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with my wife and daughter travelling, fishing, or just catching up on some interesting TV.
The SRO is involved in a variety of functions:
● As a visible, active law enforcement figure on campus dealing with any law-related
● As a classroom resource for instruction in the following areas: law related education,
violence diffusion, safety programs, alcohol and drug prevention, crime prevention and
● As a member of the faculty and administrative team working hand in hand to solve
problems in the school community.
● As a resource for the students enabling them to be associated with a positive law
enforcement figure in the student’s environment.
● As a resource for teachers, parents and students for law related concerns and
● As a counseling resource in areas which may affect the educational environment and
may be law related.
I look forward to getting to meet and help each and every student. If any questions
should arise, please don’t hesitate to contact me at (812) 376-4377 or