100 REASONS FOR BCSC
AS SUBMITTED BY BCSC
SECONDARY FACULTY MEMBERS
1. High academic expectations and support for all students.
2. A dedicated staff will go above and beyond for students.
3. Strong support from community.
4. Safe student environment.
5. Student voice helps shape process and policy.
6. Parent Connect to allow parents to monitor academic course work.
7. Business partner relationships are well established.
8. Athletic Programs offer 20 varsity sports.
9. A tradition of excellence.
10. Stable school system and leadership.
11. Diversity of student body.
12. Strong alumni support for the two high schools.
13. Students get individualized attention.
14. Provides options and does not force students to fit one size.
15. Middle school teaming concept provides a positive, supportive learning atmosphere for students
16. Multiple learning and career pathways offered.
17. Programs that serve as models for others in Indiana and the nation.
18. Over half of graduates earn an academic honors diploma.
19. Millions of dollars in scholarship money won each year by senior classes.
20. Licensed school counselors are available for career, academic, and personal counseling.
21. Merit Scholars each year.
22. Rigorous curriculum – our top 10% competes with the top 10% anywhere.
23. Qualified, certified teaching staff.
24. Leading edge technology in the classrooms.
25. Compassionate, caring, encouraging adult volunteers.
26. Large enough to have breadth of curricular options; small enough to stay personal.
27. Successful transition for students to college sports, performing arts and student government.
28. Career and technical education connect the classroom to real world learning.
29. Early College programming allows students to earn college credit at reduced tuition rates.
30. Project Lead The Way for Engineering and Bio Medical Studies offers unique opportunities for students.
31. Universal Design for Learning so each student is allowed access to quality instruction and experiences in their learning.
32. Students can create their own special interest clubs.
33. Welcoming place to learn.
34. No matter what a student's career path, BCSC can prepare the student if the student does his part.
35. Educators are solution-oriented.
36. Leaders emphasize community within the school culture.
37. Senior projects that emphasize job shadowing, service learning and academic projects.
38. Academic Challenge Programs allow talented students to excel.
39. Process of continuous improvement embedded in school culture.
40. Creativity, innovation, critical thinking and risk taking is valued and encouraged in our classrooms.
41. Authentic assessment practices allow all types of learners to be successful.
42. Dual credit programs through agreements with Indiana colleges.
43. Visionary programs are abundant.
44. A great fit for any student.
45. BCSC is truly a learning community.
46. Focus on teaching students to use their minds well, to question, to inquire, to adapt, to explore, and to reflect.
47. Active Performing Arts include band and choir programs at both middle and high schools.
48. Bands and choirs compete with great success through Indiana State School Music Association and local contests.
49. School spirit is an important part of the high school experience.
50. Journalism programs at both high schools are award winners.
51. Extensive co-curricular and extracurricular activities offer a wide array of experiences such as theater, Key Club, and National Honor Society.
52. Active student government.
53. Listening and adapting to current research on teaching and learning.
54. School schedule for high school that allows choice and flexible student scheduling.
55. Early college options available at high schools connect to Indiana University, Vincennes University, Ivy Tech College, and IUPUC.
56. Passionate teachers who care about all their students.
57. Highly qualified support staffs including paraprofessionals, technicians, tradesmen, custodial, cafeteria, and bus drivers.
58. Active Show Choirs at each high school.
59. Tutors are available both during the school day and after school hours.
60. Interdisciplinary units on every team in middle schools.
61. Math teachers give help sessions before and after school.
62. Principals who care.
63. Exceptional work between teachers on each team in middle schools.
64. Extensive summer school offerings.
65. The counselors care about the students.
66. Teachers are always being trained in new educational practices.
67. Partnership with The Learning Center to create professional development opportunities.
68. Communication, co-operation, and collaboration among staff members are encouraged.
69. Good transportation system that serves 7000 students daily.
70. Project and problem based learning connects classrooms to real world settings.
71. Guest speakers and field trips are scheduled with regularity.
72. Clean Schools.
73. Very high standards and expectations
74. Five foreign languages available including Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and Japanese.
75. Extensive art elective program including computer design, pottery, sculpture, and painting.
76. Varied and balanced assessment practices allow each student to access success.
77. Award winning publications.
78. Academic elective programs in every content area.
79. High rates of students who apply for and get accepted to college.
80. Science departments are creative and offer curriculum rich in lab experiences.
81. Cafeteria offers nutritious choices, and the food is good.
82. Extensive AP programming available to all.
83. Community service projects promoted, for example community food drives and dance marathons.
84. Prepares students to be independent thinking, global citizens.
85. Responsive and collaborative with community leaders and organizations.
86. Committed coaches including several Hall Of Fame coaches.
87. Top performing students find success in rigorous universities.
88. Wide variety of choice both academically and extra-curricular.
89. Recognizes individual differences, passions, dreams, and strengths.
90. Business and C4 students are experienced, successful competitors in local, state and national competitions through DECA and VICA clubs.
91. Academic Teams compete at the state level.
92. Libraries for pleasure reading and research in each secondary school.
93. Upcoming high school renovation project will make our high schools current for 21st century learning.
94. Years of student testimonials of how well AP courses really prepared them for the rigors of college academics.
95. Staff allows students more independence and personal choice than other school systems, leading to empowerment of our students in their own learning.
96. Our faculty members expose our students to unique experiences and offer a variety of opportunities to explore their interests.
97. BCSC nurtures its educational relationship with the community through its utilization of community members as mentors in senior projects.
98. International connections with schools in Miyoshi, Japan and Lohne, Germany.
99. Critical Friends cohorts make faculty groups into learning communities.
100. Elected and representative school board that is responsive to both community and school input.