Welcome to the Chemistry of Life!2.1 Atoms, Ions and MoleculesAll living things are based on atoms and their interactions
Atoms Review2.2 Properties of WaterWater's unique properties allow life to exist on Earth2.3 Carbon-based MoleculesCarbon-based molecules are the foundation of life.
Organic Compound WebQuest
2.4 Chemical ReactionsLife depends on chemical reactions.
2.5 EnzymesEnzymes are catalysts for chemical reactions in living organisms.
1. Some enzymes break down substances (e.g. digestive enzymes).
2. Some enzymes build up simple raw materials into more complex substances.
3. Enzymes are very specific. The lock and key model explains this: each enzyme has a specifically shaped active site.
4. The lock and key model explains why high temperatures denature (break) enzymes. 5. The lock and key model explains why some substances can inhibit (slow down) enzymes.
6. Some toxins inhibit enzymes by affecting the shape of the active site.
2.1 Atoms, Ions and Molecules
2.2 Properties of Water
2.3 Carbon-based Molecules
2.4 Chemical Reactions