Science in the News
Science in the News
Science through Discovery
An issue that could create a discussion because it is controversial.
· Something that is current; written within the last 2 months!
· Explore an issue that is interesting to you and relevant to your classmates as this will make it easier to generate questions and discussion during your presentation.
Create a 8 ½ x 11 visual display that includes:
- the title of the article and MLA source reference
- three open-ended questions, which you will use to facilitate a class discussion
- pictures that “tell the story” of the event
- Choice of 1 PPT slide or Word document printed
Written Work: (Should be 5-6 sentences in length)
Write a summary that outlines the key points in the article. You may use the 5 W’s (Who, What, Why, When, Where) to guide your summary, but do not simply list the facts of the article. Rather, retell them in your own words. · Close with your opinion(s) on the article. Reflect on the global impact of this eventSmall Group Presentation
You may use the following resources
- Each student will be asked to communicate your findings to a small group. The poster will serve as a visual and guide this sharing process.
to help find a topic:2nd Q Water Links to Possible TopicYou will be assessed on the following rubric:
· What, where, when, and who
· Why this event is of importance and significance to us?
· details of the event
· personal viewpoint/opinions
Small Group Discussion:
· 3 discussion questions are included on poster
· Leads a small group discussion about the current event.
Effective and Creative:
· Visual is neatly organized and thoughtfully designed
· Avoids “TMI”- too much info jumbled together.
· Pictures are relevant and informative
· Article is cited appropriately using MLA format on the back of the visual.
Summary and Opinion:
· Written reflection (on back) is detailed and includes at least 5 sentences for both paragraphs.
/45These online databases are also great resources:
User login: bcscworldbookPassword: allabouta2z
Username: nmsnorthsidePassword: northside
Username: IN1337Password: 47201Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgPassword: NorthsideNMS Library Catalog