Cell Growth & DivisionChapter Objectives· Describe the stages of the cell cycle.
· Follow chromosomes through the processes of mitosis and cytokinesis
· Identify internal and external factors that regulate cell division.
· Explain cancer in terms of the cell cycle
· Compare and contrast binary fission and mitosis
· Describe the specialization in multi-cellular organisms.
Lesson Focus:5.1 Cells have distinct phases of growth, reproduction and normal functionsMitosis Simple PPT (shown in class)Cells ALIVE ReinforcementMitosis Animation example5.1 Section Quiz
5.2Cells divide during mitosis and cytokinesis.
Download the He La Extra Credit wks.
Use the following resource to help you address the questionsDue Friday Nov. 215.3 Cell cycle regulation is necessary for healthy growth.Understanding Cancer- A Loss of ControlCancer is essentially a disease of mitosis- the normal 'checkpoints' regulating mitosis are ignored or overridden by a cancer cell.
Cancer as a Multi-step Process: Hit SimulatorNo single event is enough to turn a cell into a cancerous cell. Instead, it seems that the accumulation of damage to a number of genes (multiple hits) across time leads to cancer
- Inside Cancer WebQuest
CancerQuest : The Biology behind Cancer
5.4Most organisms reproduce via cell division however, some us binary fission.5.4 Section Quiz
5.5Cells work together to carry out complex functions.5.5 Section Quiz