Columbus East High SchoolSpeech Team
VIEW SPEECH TEAM'S BLOGWelcome!SPEECH TEAM 2014 NEWSThe Columbus East High School Speech Team competed at the IHSFA State Speech Tournament on Saturday, March 15, 2014. It was the best team finish at the state tournament since the team was reinvigorated in 2007.
East had semifinalists in:
- Whitney Michael was the state champion in Discussion, beating out 47 other contestants over the course of 6 rounds of competition.
Their finishes were 9th, 17th, and 8th respectively.East took home its first team trophy, placing 4th among Class AA schools (based on school population).Congratulations, East Speech team, on a tremendously successful day for the team! The team enjoyed a police escort from I-65 on the west side of Columbus all the way to East High School. A memorable day to say the least!
- Humorous Interp (Mariann Fant),
- United States Extemp (Nicole Bodi)
- International Extemp (Gracie Webb)
On March 1, 2014, Columbus East Speech Team competed at IHSFA Sectional #7, held at Greensburg High School... this is the state qualifying tournament for Indiana. The following entries qualified for State:
**Katie Miller and Kira Singer are unable to attend state, so their entries went to alternates.East placed 2nd as a team in sweepstakes points, with 88. That is the best team performance for the team in the postseason since the team was reinvigorated in 2007.On March 8, 2014, Columbus East Speech Team competed at the NFL Hoosier Heartland District Solo Speech Tournament at Logansport High School. This is the national qualifying tournament, with just six of the fourteen events that are contested in the state being contested at this meet.Columbus East qualified its first ever entry for the NFL National Speech and Debate Tournament, to be held in Kansas City, MO, in June, 2014:Mariann Fant and Tessa Hirons, Duo InterpretationColumbus East also had finalists in this tournament:
- Braidon Martoccia placed 6th in Broadcasting, IHSFA State Tournament qualifier
- Patrick Foley placed 5th in Declamation and 6th in Impromptu, IHSFA State double qualifier
- Olivia Fahey placed 6th in Declamation and 3rd in Prose Interpretation, IHSFA State double qualifier
- Whitney Michael, Champion in Discussion, IHSFA state qualifier
- Neeraj Pandita, 2nd in Discussion, IHSFA state qualifier
- Alex Hahn, 5th in Discussion, IHSFA state qualifier
- Tessa Hirons and Mariann Fant, 5th in Memorized Duo, IHSFA state qualifier
- Katie Miller and Emma Alexander, 3rd in Scripted Duo, IHSFA state qualifier**
- Kira Singer, 5th in Humorous, IHSFA State qualifier**
- Mariann Fant, 2nd in Humorous, IHSFA State qualifier
- Che Brotzman, 6th in Impromptu, IHSFA State qualifier
- Gracie Webb, Champion in International Extemp, IHSFA State qualifier
- Naveen Menon, 5th in International Extemp, IHSFA State qualifier
- Emma Alexander, 3rd in Original Oratory, IHSFA State qualifier
- Megan Miller, 5th in US Extemp, IHSFA State qualifier
- Nicole Bodi, 6th in US Extemp, IHSFA State qualifier
Columbus East also had semifinalists in this tournament:
- Emma Alexander placed 4th in Original Oratory, and was 2nd alternate to the National tournament
- Gracie Webb placed 4th in International Extemp, and was 2nd alternate to the National tournament
Two very successful Saturdays for the Columbus East Speech Team!The IHSFA State Tournament is Saturday, March 15, 2014, at Fishers High School in Fishers.GO EAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"What is Speech Team"?East's Speech team competes in speech competitions characterized by individuals competing in a variety of different events. These events span the areas of public speaking, acting, reading and interpretation. Organized competition takes place both on the high school and collegiate level.Through the forum of public speaking, students learn to communicate effectively in a competitive environment that stresses logic, quick thinking, breadth of knowledge, and ultimately, persuasion.
- Chris Hahn was a semifinalist in Original Oratory.
- Olivia Fahey was a semifinalist in Dramatic Interp.
Eligibility is open to any East student—regardless of grade level. No prior experience is necessary.Tournament events range from informative and impromptu speaking to the oral interpretation of literature. The team meets to practice frequently, and there is no mandatory level of participation.
Head Coach, Columbus East HS Speech Team
230 S. Marr Rd.
Columbus, IN 47201
Last Modified on March 27, 2014