Important Links for ParentsArts Education is a critical component in our schools. Below are some links to enableparents and guardians to learn more about arts education.The Fourth "R" by Dr. Jason OhlerStaying in School- research on how arts education affects graduation rates.
A Missing Piece in the Economic Stimulus: Hobbling Arts Hobbles Innovation - Psychology Today
Art is critical for educating the whole child
- Arts education fosters brain development, especially of the creative and intuitive right brain functions.
- Skills developed through art lead to better learning in other areas.
- Students in quality art programs benefit from a wide range of positive effects including development of creativity and thinking skills, better self-expression, appreciation of art and music, learning about other cultures, and enriched personal satisfaction with their achievements. (Harland, Critical Links).
- The arts provide experiences that cannot be duplicated by other means.
- Art gives pleasure and meaning to our daily experience.
- Insights from the arts are as important in giving meaning to the world as those from science and history.
- Through art, students develop cultural awareness and appreciation of other viewpoints. (Welch)
- Art develops social skills and teamwork. In art class, students are encouraged to share ideas and help each other.
Art is a basic part of a good education
- Creating art helps children discover the unexpected possibilities of their creativity.
- Art teaches critical thinking rather than getting the right answer.
- Through art children learn that problems can have more than one solution and that questions can have more than one answer.
- Art teaches students about subtleties.
- Art teaches children to evaluate and make good judgments about qualitative relationships.
- Art reminds us that the limits of our language do not define the limits of our thinking.
- Art celebrates multiple perspectives and different ways to see and interpret the world.
- Art teaches students to explore through and within possible responses.
Last Modified on August 25, 2015