What does the counselor do?
In individual and/or small group counseling, I...
- Counsels children individually
- Teaches guidance lessons in the classrooms
- Conducts small group counseling sessions
- Provides education and support services to parents
- Consults with teachers
- Advises students with building academic skills and developing positive social skills
Topics taught during classroom guidance include:
- help children cope with difficult and/or unchangeable life events
- help children recognize and make use of their potential
- give children the opportunity to share their feelings and concerns
- help children develop problem-solving skills.
Here is a video with a good explanation of what a comprehensive school counseling program looks like!
- Friendship skills
- Study skills
- Individual differences
- Career awareness
- Decision-making skills
- Substance abuse awareness and prevention
- Conflict resolution skills